1.11.2012

Help the Girls.

Today is Human Trafficking Awareness Day. I think I may have mentioned this on here before...But awhile ago Adam asked in what area did my heart really ache for...this is it. Human Trafficking. It is the worst thing and I hate hearing stories or even thinking about the daily torture some of these girls go through. It is disgusting. Disturbing.

I found out about this day and the A21 Campaign from Klove. Here is a tiny bit of info:
After a trafficking journey that typically involves deception, rape, beatings, and constant threats, victims are often forced to live in confining and unsanitary conditions. Once formally put to work, human trafficking victims can be forced to service from 40 to 110 customers in one day1. Malnutrition, sleep deprivation, as well as emotional and physical abuse become part of the day-to-day routine.

In addition to the abuse, forced abortions and the contraction of STI's, Hepatitis B and C, and AIDS are ever looming probabilities. Life for a victim of sex trafficking is hell on earth. This injustice is the reason The A21 Campaign exists.








What can we do? The A21 Campaign has "21 Ways to Help"...My goal is for myself and 20 other people to do the first one, write a letter to one of the girls in a recovery shelter. 

Link is here (this includes the address the letter/card should be mailed to): http://www.thea21campaign.org/write-a-letter.php




The A21 Campaign does everything we can to equip the survivors of human trafficking with options, knowledge, and skills to assist them in moving forward with their lives. Our transition program provides survivors with the support they need to transition from their time in our shelter, to living a fully independent, flourishing life. This includes assistance in repatriation, housing assistance, employment assistance, educational scholarships, psychological care, and assistance stabilizing and dealing with the effects of their experiences. We are committed to walking the journey with the survivors in our care until they are able to rebuild their lives from a position of strength.


Now I know this may sound like a far off "way to help" but I wanted to try something that would require some thought and emotion. I mean, this will be tricky...what do you say to a girl who has been through this? How can you encourage her? Let her know that she is not worthless? Please take 20 minutes out of your day and help encourage a young girl.



2 comments:

  1. Amy, this also lays heavy on my heart. I dont know if you have ever heard of Tiny Hands International but they do similiar things. It is great christian organization you want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, I saw your post as I was waiting on attending the first Called To Rescue Omaha Chapter trafficking meeting. I echo your passion and will join you in writing. If you have any interest in being
    involved locally, please let me know!

    Jen Mahr

    ReplyDelete